Thursday, August 19, 2021

Veggie Spotlight: Scallions

Do you see the image below? What do you call these veggies? Scallions? Green onions? Spring onions?

I am confused because some say scallions are not the same as spring onions. Yet the chefs on TV call them green onions or spring onions ... they call them everything but scallions. Have you noticed that?


The first time I tried them was in a salad. A friend took me to a salad bar at a restaurant. I couldn't believe how those little green and white bits and pieces completely changed the flavor of the salad! Then I went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered the won ton soup with my meal. They had a bowl of chopped scallion on the table, with a bowl of crispy fried noodles and some other garnishes. I didn't know what to do, so I just took a spoonful of the scallions and the crispy noodles and sprinkled it in the soup. It was fantastic! First food experiences can be so wonderful!

But back to the questions.
Scallions? Green onions? Spring onions?

Of course, I decided to ask the experts. :)
Here is one answer.


  • "Green onions and scallions are actually the same thing!"
  • "Spring onions, on the other hand, look similar to scallions, but you’ll notice that they have small onion bulbs at the base."

Well whatever they are called, I love them! They add a wonderful layer of flavor to a green salad. I also love them chopped and sprinkled on top of a soup made with a clear broth, like won ton soup.

They are super easy to grow. I only mention this because they may not be cheap where you live. At our local grocery store we can get a bunch for about 35 cents. However, a friend in Europe says they are not cheap. But it's OK because they're easy to grow.
I don't really know many recipes that list them as an ingredient during the cooking. Most of the time, people sprinkle them on the dish after the cooking is done. I'm still learning how to use the scallion as it was not a common cooking ingredient in my mom's dishes.

Anybody else love this flavorful member of the onion family?


No comments:

Post a Comment

About the Blog Publisher

My photo
Work-at-home professional since 2007.

***

Treathyl Fox aka Cmoneyspinner – Home Business Entrepreneur.  Think. Dream. Focus. Believe in yourself? Hire yourself! Be your own boss! Do it! Self-employed and loving it!   ♦ DISCLOSURE: In compliance with FTC rules and guidelines, be advised that some links shared via my my websites and blogs might contain affiliate referral links which means commissions might be earned if product sales resulted from your click-through to the vendor’s website. Contact or Connect via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, HUBPages, or Medium.