Thursday, June 30, 2022

World Cuisine: Exotic Vegetables: Winter Melon

Thanks to being active in various global social communities, I'm learning about all kinds of food like the “winter melon”. This is not a produce that I am familiar with. Even when I checked to see if maybe I knew it by a different name, it turns out I did not know the alternative names either. I don't recall seeing this melon in my local grocery store but it is probably in the produce section at an Asian market. Nevertheless, now it's a food that I am curious to try. 


Image credit:  Amazon.com

OK. Let me explain myself. I like cucumbers and I like melons. But I say a cucumber is a vegetable and anything called melon has to be a fruit. Right? WRONG!!

The Spruce Eats is my favorite GO TO site for when I want to learn about anything food-related. They published content titled “What Is a Winter Melon?” and it tells you all about it.  


The winter melon is a large vine vegetable; a type of gourd and a distant cousin of the cucumber. Commonly called ash gourd, wax gourd, white gourd, white pumpkin, and Chinese watermelon. It is a native to parts of Southern Asia and used in both Indian and Chinese cuisine.

You can cook it, but don't over-cook it because it will become mushy. It pairs well with a lot of different foods: watermelon, mushrooms, scallions, pork, chicken, duck, and ham, seafood like shrimp and scallops. I love that it can be cooked in soups and stews because soup is on my unofficial list of Top 5 comfort foods.

  • Some sources say it can not be eaten RAW.
  • Other sources say, add it to salads RAW just like you would with a cucumber.

???????

Here are some additional food facts and most of the sources seem to be in agreement.

“Chinese people believe winter melon is a Yin food that can help our bodies to counter the summer heat and humidity.” This soup dish is so popular they even serve it at weddings.

Chinese Winter Melon Soup Recipe ~ TheSpruce Eats


Winter melon can also be used to make drinks. There are recipes for Winter Melon Tea and Bubble Tea Latte. Sounds interesting.

18 of the Absolute Best Winter MelonRecipes to Try This Year - Backyard Boss  


A few of the health websites sing praises about the health benefits of the winter melon. It's good for digestion; promotes heart health; can detox your body; can improve your vision; and more!

9 Surprising Benefits of Winter Melon |Organic Facts


FINAL LINK SHARE:

Figured there had to be a candy recipe.  Petha / Winter Melon soft Candy !!! | Shailja's Kitchen [ Meals & Memories Are Made Here ] 



No comments:

Post a Comment

About the Blog Publisher

My photo
Work-at-home professional since 2007.

***

Treathyl Fox aka Cmoneyspinner – Home Business Entrepreneur.  Think. Dream. Focus. Believe in yourself? Hire yourself! Be your own boss! Do it! Self-employed and loving it!   ♦ DISCLOSURE: In compliance with FTC rules and guidelines, be advised that some links shared via my my websites and blogs might contain affiliate referral links which means commissions might be earned if product sales resulted from your click-through to the vendor’s website. Contact or Connect via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, HUBPages, or Medium.